How to Stick With Your Goals When Motivation Wains
September 22, 2017
It gets tough! It really isn't easy going after your dreams. All the motivational quotes say to live your dream and shoot for the stars, but there aren't a lot of quotes out there that tell you how hard it's going to be! Maybe what they should say is this:
'Shoot for the stars, you'll drive yourself mad in the process, but it's worth it!'
'Live your dream, after you sweat, toil and survive on coffee and miss all your favourite TV shows for years to get there!'
Sometimes, things are going great and then you hit a wall. Or you simply get tired of working so hard. This is normal and it's so important that you don't give up because usually, this is where a lot of people throw in the towel. However, it's also the spot right before things get easier and you actually succeed in your goal!
Granted, you've got to keep going, but sometimes it's best to take a step back for a sec, analyse the situation instead of stumbling on through, miserable. Here are 5 things that you can do to get your motivation back on track:
- Know WHY you are doing this! It's got to be a reason bigger than the reason to give up. It's got to be something that will continue to push you forward. It has to be for you and not to please anyone else. Google some phrases that reflect your reasons and chose an image that motivates you and washi tape it to your computer screen or above the kitchen sink.
- Take a break if you need one. Don't burn yourself out, you need to be in good shape when you get to your goal so that you can fully enjoy it. Take a break for as long as you need, but I suggest a short of a break as possible. And don't forget to schedule the time to come back to it.
- Find some motivation. If someone else has succeeded in what you're trying to do, research their story. If you are writing a work and are getting worn out, watch some videos of an author on a book tour. If you are training for a marathon, read an article about marathoners and how they feel after the race. If you are planting your garden for spring, look at photos online of lovely tulips and daffodils.
- Be your best you. Make sure that you are getting enough sleep and eating properly. Put down the junk and processed foods, please! Yes, you with the Diet Coke! I see you. You shouldn't be eating that crap at all. Stick to real food. Go for a walk or a run, leave the headphones at home, it will clear your mind and you'll get some exercise at the same time.
- Ask yourself: Do I really want this? Sometimes we continue to work towards goals that we are no longer passionate about. If you answer No, then it's really ok to let it go. Becareful however, sometimes we confuse the lack of motivation for that thing we really want with actually being over it. If you answered Yes, then try and figure out what is killing your motivation. Go back to tips 1-4 for help.
There you have it! Let me know in the comments what big goal you are working towards. It you need/want any more help feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or check out my PLAN YOUR DREAMS class at Big Picture classes. You’ll learn how to determine what your goals are—whether big or small—and how to break them down into manageable steps. My tips and tricks will help you incorporate these steps into your schedule and get you on the right track to achieving your dreams!