Apparently Americans think that it was Thanksgiving this past week, well any Canadian will tell you that Thanksgiving was back in October!! Haha silly Americans.
All jokes aside, no matter what country you live in, any time is a great time to show your thanks. An attitude of gratitude will go a long way in your happiness. When you are grateful for what you have, no matter how meager, you make a mind shift from wanting to having, and that makes all the difference.
It's one thing to do it for one day a year, and quite another to make it a habitual part of your every day. Being grateful for what you have in your life works wonders at driving away frustration, disappointments and anxiety. When you see what you have and what you've accomplished, it actually makes you confident as you move forward with goals and projects instead of fretting over the work and effort needed to get where you'd like to be. Being happy, content and thankful with where you are makes life so much more wonderful that you can't help but smile all the time.
I encourge you to choose the one thing from the list below that speaks to you the most, and start right now! List 1-5 things that you are thankful for, today and everyday. They don't have to be big things, you can mix in little happy moments with your children, the fact that there was no traffic on the way to work and a quiet 5 minutes with a cuppa in the morning light, along with a promotion or a trip of a life time. The little moments are a lot easier to come by and add to your list, and they are also the ones we tend to over look. They are the wonderful bits of our day that make up our lives and make it amazing. The more we are able to see these moments for the joys that they are, the happier our lives will be.
Here are 10 easy ways that you can make gratitude a part of your daily routine:
- Stick a new post-it with your list on your bathroom mirror each day
- Find a gratitude buddy and email or message your list to each other everyday
- Add fresh flowers or a pretty picture to your home and come up with one thing to be thankful for every time you see it
- Keep a journal - list your items at the same time every day
- Set an alarm on your phone and list the things you are thankful for out loud or jot them down
- Write a quick message to someone for whom you are grateful
- Write your list on a chalk board in your kitchen, change it out each day or have a running list that you can erase at the end of the week
- When you are frustrated, stop and take a look around and find something to be thankful for, there is always something
- Pray or meditate on this at the same time every day
- Have everyone say what they are thankful for at the dinner table before the meal, everyday
I've had an alarm on my phone set for 10:47am (no idea why I picked that completely random time, haha!) and I would list out loud 3 things everyday. I turned it off for a while but I'm turning it back on today and I'm also going to write my list down if I happen to be at home when it goes off. I recently found an old gratitiude journal of mine and it's an amazing feeling going back and rereading those little lists of everyday wonders.
The first item on my list today is going to be YOU! I am so grateful that you come and read my blog. I am grateful to be able to share my thoughts and experiences. Thank you!
To show my thanks, I thought about having a Black Friday sale. Instead, I really want to do something more than simply give you a discount, so I'm giving away my hand drawn Christmas printables for you to use however you'd like. Follow the link below to download all three sheets and please tag me if you post them online so that I can see! Enjoy!