The morning sets you up for the entire day, so it's super important that you start with good habits from the second you wake up.
Today, I have 10 things that you should not be doing in the first few hours of the day. Don't try and stop them all today, you'll get overwhelmed and won't end up getting rid of any of theses habits. So start slow, pick one and using the techniques from my 10 Ways to Create Habits That Really do Stick post from my Productivity Series to help you kick these bad habits to the curb and replace them with healthy habits!
1. Stop hitting that snooze button! Reading Mel Robbin's 5 Second Rule changed my view on the snooze! She says it messes up your sleep cycles if you go back to sleep and it takes a lot longer to finally get awake and properly functional. She also says that by hitting snooze you are essentially failing at the very first task that you set for yourself for the day.
2. Stop checking your phone first thing. By checking in with your phone you are essentially checking in on other people's problems. Focus on yourself first and turn your phone off of airplane mode once you've got your day off to a good start.
3. Stop leaving yourself JUST enough time to get ready in the morning. If your continuously cutting your time too short to get just a few minutes more sleep then you will always end up rushed and be stressed out as you leave the house. Instead try waking up 10-15 minutes earlier, and of course that means going to bed a bit earlier too.
4. Stop skipping breakfast or grabbing processed crap, or stopping for a donut on the way. Your body hasn't seen food for a good 8-10 hours, so why would you start your day off with crappy food. Skip the processed cereal and have bakery bread or oatmeal (not the instant garbage!) and some fruit in the morning.
5. Stop planning your day. If you are planning your day in the morning, it means that you are starting your day without direction. You are deciding on what to do when you could already be in the zone and well into your day. By planning your day out the night before, you are all set and ready to go when it's time to get to work. PS. this is one I have a lot of trouble with!
6. Stop deciding what to wear. We make decisions all day long and the more decisions that we make the harder it is to make those later decisions. By deciding what to wear in the morning, you are taking away some of your decision making power for later on. If you lay out an outfit the night before or have a 'uniform' then you make it easier to make other, more important decisions throughout the day.
7. Stop waking up at different times on different days. Yes, that means weekends too! Your body has an internal clock and by waking up at different times you are messing with that clock. If you wake up an hour or so later on weekends that'll work, but try not to sleep til noon!
8. Stop sleeping with your phone. Have it completely outside of your bedroom and on airplane mode. Sleeping with your phone leads to people actually waking up in the middle of the night and checking their phone, OMG, really!! Plus, looking at that phone light right before you go to sleep messes up your sleep and you don't rest as soundly.
9. Stop drinking coffee on an empty stomach. Ideally you should wait 3 hours after waking to have any caffeine. I usually have a cup of tea 2.5 hours after.
10. Stop forgetting your glass of water. The best thing first thing in the morning is a glass of water, squeeze a lemon into it for an added 'cleanse'. Like with breakfast, your body has been without water all night, and you need to replenish so that you don't get dehydrated.
I go through each of these points in a little more detail in my YouTube video this week, plus you get to follow me around as I do all the don'ts! And then the do's too ;)